permanently clever

Saturday, January 27, 2007

i have a cramp in my thumb

after a month of little use, i am re-training my hand for copious notetaking. how am i doing this? by filling out a million (or eight if you want to be more precise) job applications. job applications are tricky because they don't look like you have much to fill out but dang if you don't have a ton of information to put down and very little space to do it. i have to write significantly smaller than i normally do and infinitely more neatly. it has taken me nearly three hours to complete two and a half applications. this seems unreasonable to me! true, some of the time was spent looking up information of my previous employers and references, but still ... ridiculous. seriously, why do i need to list my personal achievements, military data (or lack thereof), personality data, four former employers, three college faculty references, two personal references and a partridge in a pear tree to work as a server at winberies?! i do understand why i need most of it but it really did seem over the top to have a four page application when most of my others are one to two. i hope applying for a real life job is not going to be this draining. at least then i 'll get to use a resume over and over instead of re-filling the same information eight, umm, i mean, a million times!