permanently clever

Saturday, December 04, 2004

why did an email from a russian orthodox pastor make me so happy?

larissa, krista and i just got back from seeing 'closer'. i'm still trying to figure out what i think about that movie. i didn't like it at first. the characters were tragically flawed one-dimensionally. but somehow, when it was over, i said 'that can't be it' in my head. i wanted more. very confused on my feelings about it.

earlier, i emailed a pastor at a nearby russian orthodox church to see if he would be wiling to let me (with my partner) research his church for a project in a class. i received a reply from him and i just felt happy after i read it. there wasn't anything spectacular about it really. it just seems as though he was very welcoming and willing to let us come. he tactfully informed me that i was welcome to pray and worship but not able to take communion. i think i just don't know much about the orthodox church and it makes me very happy when churches welcome people with questions (especially when it's for research and not for conversion). i'm going to be very glad to visit their service next saturday.