permanently clever

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

it's good to know your limits

i love flavored lemonades. no, i don't think you understand. i can't get enough of them. i will literally drink them until i make myself sick. my absolute favorite drink of all time is rasberry lemonade. the thing is that i know i have a tendency to overdo it when i order a fruity yummy lemonade. and yet, do i try to limit myself? absolutely not. i just can't help it.

so, chili's is a favorite place of mine. they have excellent strawberry lemonade. i went to chili's today to meet with some people from my new church. they called me and said they were running a little behind. that was absolutely fine. i told them i would go in and get a table and have a drink. so, i go and i decide to order a blackberry lemonade. yum. (but not quite as good as a strawberry or raspberry). anyhow, i pretty much drink that first one in less than 30 seconds. i'm telling you, i'm addicted.

our waitress was amazing and had a refill for me in no time. i was mostly through the second one when the ladies i was meeting showed up. actually, the waitress was bringing my third refill as the ladies were sitting down. and the said something about how they took too long because i was already getting a refill. i smiled sheepishly and said, actually i was just finishing my second and this was my third. i made sure to tell them that these lemonades are my weakness and it wasn't because they were late that i had already had that many.

now, i do know my limit. usually, i can only drink three and then i start to really feel the effects of the sugar. the thing is, that by this point, the waiter or waitress has figured out that i guzzle them and usually brings me a fourth. well, then i feel bad because they have already been so nice in getting me all my refills so i try really hard to drink the fourth.

today was no exception. by the time i was halfway through the third one, i started to feel the headache and stomachache that accompany my gluttony of flavored lemonades. this one seemed notably worse than usual. the stomachache wasn't that bad. but oh my goodness the headache was awful. i could barely concentrate. and! my shoulder muscles started to hurt and feel weak. that was weird. all i wanted to do at that point was lay down and die of a sugar rush gone bad. thankfully after maybe 5 or 10 minutes the feeling passed. so i was able to finish my third and take a couple drinks of the fourth.

i'm just saying, it's good to know your limits. and to always push those limits!