permanently clever

Thursday, January 27, 2005

i'm an idiot

you would think that my goal of being more academically honest would be extremely helpful to my learning this semester. it would be ... if i went to my class. so, my morning is scheduled that i have two classes, chapel, and then one more class. i realized this morning, however, that i had forgotten which room my third class was in so i decided to skip chapel to come back to my room and find out. so, i look at my little blue sheet where i write everything down and i see stuart 4. i think that is wonderful because it's on the first level of stuart and i don't have to hike up a million stairs. so, i do stuff on my computer for the rest of my skipping chapel time. then, before i head out, i check one more time to see where my class is and again, i see stuart 4. so, i'm sitting there in stuart 4 and as people are walking in, i'm amazed at how many actually signed up for hinduism. then i see the two people on either side of me looking at the same book. a book that is not about hinduism nor a book that i own. i start to get a little nervous. this would have been the ideal time to lean over and say 'hey, what class is this?' but no, i rationalize in my mind that it is quite possible that these two people have another class together and are merely looking forward to it this afternoon. then, the teacher walks in and she asks us to move the tables into discussion format. she. hey, i thought the teacher of hinduism was a guy. oh well, i help move tables. and then class starts. no introduction. uh oh. not the first time this class has met. crap. the discussion is about sin. hmmm. by this time, it is far past the starting time of class because it takes a couple minutes to manuever tables, etc. i can't get out of the class without disrupting or looking a fool. so, i sit through an hours worth of discussion of a book i didn't read about sin. it was really quite interesting. my favorite part was when a guy brought up a platonic idea that ignorance is a sin (well, bad behavior); that if people were educated they would not be sinful. well, i thought, that is certainly the case with me presently. if only i had been less ignorant about where my class was, i certainly wouldn't have committed the sin of missing the first class of a once-a-week class. the really horrible thing is that in the far reaches of my mind i kept thinking "i thought i had a class in stuart 9. maybe it's a precept. but, no, i thought it was a regular class. oh well." my class was in stuart 9. and, i'm looking at my little blue sheet and it does say stuart 9. the problem is that there are black lines on the blue sheet and i wrote the 9 so that the top curve of it is on the black line and it looks like a four if just glanced at. oh, one more stupid moment. i thought hinduism only went until 11:30. so, when i escaped from the sin class at 11:34ish, i could have gone up and joined my hinduism class until 12:30 but silly me thought it was already over (plus, i had to pee really bad) so i just came back to alex. i wrote my teacher an email telling him that i am idiot and asking what i should do. man, that email makes me look really stupid to a princeton seminary professor. great. this is me, kyle garst, the dummy who wrote the right number down and read it wrong twice while on a specific mission to find what room i'm in and thus went to the wrong class on the first and only day of class this week. academic integrity? heck, i should just strive for attendance.