permanently clever

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

it was a beautiful and blessed day

yes, to all those wondering, i had a wonderful birthday!

i got up at the proper time so that i could get gussied up for my birthday (instead of sleeping in and showering after greek thereby skipping chapel). oh wait, that wasn't where i should have started the story. at 6:15, i hear a little rustling outside my door...i kinda figured it was people decorating so i thought it would be rude if i got up and scared them! plus, i still had an hour to sleep before the proper getting up time. so, when i do get up and open my door, there are all these beautiful purple, blue, and white streamers and balloons and confetti!! yes! love it!

next point of excitement: an envelope was slipped under my door. inside is a nice card from jenny and a beautiful necklace. jenny got the necklace on her retreat and it's from kenya and the money used to purchase it went to helping build a church in kenya. love it!

when i get to systematic, a bunch of people start singing 'happy birthday' to me! but then they stopped after the first line!! it totally cracked me up! love it!

when i come back, i had a couple messages on my phone. what a glorious thing when people call me and sing me happy birthday!!!! it was very nice to get all the emails, phone calls, and instant messages from all my peeps that aren't in princeton. and, i got cards from my family. love it!

then, krista came to my room to get me for lunch. but she also had a present: a tiara with flashing lights!! how fun is that?! so i wear it to lunch and when i get to the table for lunch there are balloons and a table cloth. it was a really nice setup! then, a bunch of folks that i love came and had lunch with me and/or came to wish me well. and the cake! let me tell you about the cake: so, there is a skate park in philly that i totally want to go to sometime. i'm a little obsessed about it. the cake was a skate ramp!! with skateboards on it!!!! how perfect! while they are singing me 'happy birthday', joanne is throwing her napkin confetti. some of the pieces of napkin landed on the candles and caught fire! i had to blow them out ... kinda messed up my making a wish thing but it was classic!! lunch was so much fun for me! love it!

next thing, tony jones was our teacher in theol. foundations for min. with youth today. and, we got to have class outside for half of it. that was totally great. my thoughts were engaged and i got a little bit more of an understanding about the emerging church. but more about that later. love it!

then, i set out to pick up ann from the airport. i forgot about rush hour. not the highlight of my day but i still found some great music to listen to. so, i get ann at the airport and we head to qdoba. we kinda catch up a bit in the car with interspersed direction giving. we find qdoba and i have my very first qdoba burrito! i had to ask ann how to order because i didn't want to mess up and look a fool! haha, i'm a dork. and then during dinner, ann fills me in on her trip to colorado. i'm glad that it was a good time for her and that she relaxed from her studies for a while. it was fun to catch up! love it!

ice cream time! a bunch of us headed out to halo for some ice cream celebration. i was kinda terribly full still but i managed to eat my ice cream :D oh gosh, can i just tell you that i really do appreciate all the friends i've made here at pts. just some really great, fun, intelligent, wonderful people. love it!

so now, the sad news of the night. well, first of all, i must say that i had forgotten that american idol was on tonight because i was having such a great birthday. but i remembered when i heard the vcr was on after i got back from picking up ann at the airport. so, when we get back from ice cream, emily and i sit down to watch it. but i can't find where the show started. turns out i'm a dummy and didn't remember to reprogram the vcr for daylight savings time (and the mode where it automatically changes it was off). so, we only got to see the recap. kinda sad about that. it's the first one i missed all season. but you know, i still had a fabulous day and nothing can rain on my parade! love it!

speaking of rain, it didn't at all today. it was such a beautiful day today! birds were singing. sun was shining. windows were down. glorious, just glorious! love it!

thank you to everyone who made this such a wonderful day for me. i am truly honored to have such friends that will call me to sing to me, that will send me e-cards, that will plan such fun things for me, and that will just be with me and have a good time. love you all!