permanently clever

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

no longer lost in the abyss of anti-intellectualism

well, i did have lots of things that i wanted to share and now i only remember the main one. alastima.

i did remember one other than the main story . . . my address labels finally arrived today. i ordered ones with all the seasons. too bad they came AFTER i sent all 52 of my hand-addressed christmas cards. stupid label company.

okay, so my exciting news (no one else so far seems as excited as i but they might not know what the underpinnings of my apathy is)! today, in my philosophy class 'paradigms and progress in theology', i paid attention the whole time. i took notes . . . three pages front and back. there was no doodling. i understood everything and i really tried to think about it (as much as i could . . . he was going really fast!). i loved it! this is what i have been missing! i had the thought of "this is why i'm coming to school . . . to be engaged". i am so glad to discover that my newfound apathy/indifference to furthering education does not have to be a permanent state. i just hadn't found anything that really sparked my interest or forced me to really think. i am fairly convinced that all my friends here think i am completely lethargic in the area of study. and, i have been since i've been here. but i want to say that even if i don't do all my homework (or any of it), my mind can be engaged and really considering/learning. since i've been at pts, i have often wondered why i'm here and how they possibly let me in. although, i am appropriately impressed with the level of skill and expertise my professors hold, i haven't really gotten much from my experience thus far. most of this stems from the repeat of a lot of information that i already "learned" while in college (i use quotation marks because my memory is not the best and there is room for review). all this is to say that i'm glad i'm not dead in the world of expanding knowledge. i was afraid i was lost forever in thinking that there really is no point in further education. i even started to formulate hypotheses that ignorance was preferable to education because i was a much happier person when i knew less. i consider education extremely valuable and it was alarming to see that i had fallen into that kind of thinking. anyway, i was very pleased with class and i hope that, as i continue here at pts, i will continue to find that kind of engagement. p.s. i'll be so very glad when i'm done with survey courses!

three more things: first, i'm going to poo on broadway tomorrow. (this 'poo' is me trying to be clever by making an acronym for 'phantom of the opera' . . . it makes me laugh. hope it's not sacrilege to theatre buffs!) new york here i come!!
second, it has been raining since yesterday morning. ann commented today on the plethora of umbrellas that appear at this school and her perplexity of it. i'm so glad that someone else has noticed this as well and has articulated that finding!
third, the random question of the day is "do i have peanut butter on my face?" per krista

see, i remembered some of the things i had forgotten when i started this entry. aren't you glad? now, i have to go write a paper for a book that i seriously tried to read and of which i only got to page 40. wish me luck. wish me awakeness. wish me the ability to b.s. logically.