permanently clever

Monday, February 26, 2007

i'm an automotive genius!

well, not really. but i feel like i did a lot of nice things for my car today.

it all started when i kicked the fuse for my turn signals out again. seriously, who puts the fuse box right by the driver's feet?! usually i just reach down and plug it back in. well, this time, i broke the dang fuse. so this afternoon, i made a little trip to pepboys to find another fuse and get some suggestions on how to get the piece that was still stuck in there out.

i had no problem finding the fuse i needed. this is where i felt like a genius. a.) because i knew i needed a new fuse b.) because i knew where to look in my driver's manual for the information c.) because i even checked to make sure i didn't already have a spare d.) i found the fuse aisle and correct fuse without having to ask anyone in the store

but i didn't have any cash. and i didn't want to charge a measly $2. so, i went looking around for other things to make leon (that's my car) happy. i decided to get some fuel injector and carbeurator cleaner that will also help my gas mileage. i got some de-icing winshield wiper fluid. i've been longing for it all winter! and i got a fancy new fuzzy steering wheel cover. personally, i often think that steering wheel covers look tacky. definitely my new one does. but, it's just so soft!

then, i went to the parking lot and was able to add the fuel stuff (that was the easiest part), add winshield wiper fluid (which i had never done but found quite easy), and change my fuse. turns out i could just pull the stuck part out with my nails. and i put the extra fuse (because they come in packs of 2) in the neat little spot just for extra fuses.

i feel quite accomplished.

i was so excited that i decided i would get my oil changed too because i was long overdue. but when i pull in to jiffy lube, they are closed. sad. i'll do that tomorrow.

all this to say that i think my dad would be proud of me. but if i told him, he would probably act quite unimpressed and ask me why i didn't do any of this sooner. deep down though, i know he'd be proud.