permanently clever

Thursday, February 03, 2005

some good thoughts coming to me lately

first, i want to encourage my fellow seminarians to check out a post on graham's xanga. well, hey, i encourage everyone to look at it. i think it's an interesting insight into how the world views christians. i think graham brought up some very valid points that are worthy of consideration.

second, just want to say how happy i am that i heard from both of my mentor-type-guys this past week! love them! i just want to share a small paragraph from one of them. (steve rankin was the campus minister and my religion teacher at southwestern college)

"while you're growing intellectually, remember: in the end all of your acumen and skill are for loving God and loving your neighbor. work hard, keep the faith, don't grow weary in well-doing."

how beautiful is that?! i love steve! well, now i feel like i should include one of andy's comments. (andy was my philosophy teacher and advisor at sc) this quote is in reference to me lamenting how there is a lot of theological talk about God but really not much faith sharing.

"once the students get into pastoral care or CPE they will all stop being karl barth and start being bob newhart. i distinctly recall a lot of people asking me, “how do you feel about that” during my time at seminary. they were annoying and a bit insincere but they were practicing their pastoral skills."

oh, how it's just like andy. i hope no one takes offense at it because it really is meant to be funny! ahhh, they make me feel all warm fuzzy on the inside!

third, i went to a choir concert tonight with my pal ann at the university chapel. it was beautiful. soul-filling even. i wanted to include in this post the lyrics of one of my favorite choral hymns.

Beautiful Savior,
King of Creation,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Truly I'd love Thee,
Truly I'd serve Thee,
Light of my soul, my Joy, my Crown.

Fair are the meadows,
Fair are the woodlands,
Robed in flowers of blooming spring;
Jesus is fairer,
Jesus is purer;
He makes our sorrowing spirit sing.

Fair is the sunshine,
Fair is the moonlight,
Bright the sparkling stars on high;
Jesus shines brighter,
Jesus shines purer,
Than all the angels in the sky.

Beautiful Savior,
Lord of the nations,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor,
Praise, adoration,
Now and forevermore be Thine!

"Beautiful Savior"by Author Unknown, 1677. Translated by Joseph A. Seiss, 1823-1904.

well, folks, i'm sorry this is such a long entry. but i'm pleased that it's all happiness and joy! praise to you if you have read completely thus far. props to you if you've skimmed most of it. plagues to you if you scrolled down first to see how stinkin' long it was before you even started reading.